Friday, April 3, 2020

Driveway Work, DIY or NO DIY?

I know this is a DIY project site, but some things are better left done by professionals and one of those things is a new driveway. Unless you have experience and/or a few buddies with experience doing concrete work it's best to hire a contractor. This is multiple person jobs and you need specialized equipment. Some of that equipment may require special licenses such as a CDL to operate (example Dump Truck), which I have but I needed someone else to do this one. I've done a driveway in the past and everything is time-sensitive. You will also need Permits from the City and possibly a City Engineer. I required a City Engineer and needed authorization before widening my driveway entrance to a two-car entrance. I was making measurements to see ballpark on how much this was going cost. 




this sidewalk was cemented right overtop the last sidewalk and it was pitching towards the foundation, which is opposite of what you want. 



Curb had seen better days the driveway had no reinforcement or base under it. However, we found pieces of previous concrete walkway or driveway under it. 

 












If you need to level out dips and valleys in your yard this is a great time to do it. They have to remove dirt anyways for the base to be put in. I talked to the contractor about it before we started work. 








Since we had to remove dirt to build up a base, I decided to have the front lawn leveled out as well. I will flatten out and seed later.

















Before the last sections, Curb and approach can be poured city inspector must come out and review the work. 










The chalk marks were marking out where the relief cuts would take place. 






I just want to say that these guys were amazing. They sculpted by hand the curb.













This work was done by The Concrete Company and I couldn't be happier with it.
Their employees were on time and ready to work every morning. They all had an upbeat and good attitude and I would gladly work with them again on future projects. Click the logo below to be directed to their site. 






















2 comments: